Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: question from a non-tubist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by eric on August 11, 2001 at 10:35:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: question from a non-tubist posted by Jay Bertolet on August 11, 2001 at 08:41:08:

Mr. Bertolet:

Your specific situation may be different seeing as how you teach at an arts-magnet school, but my thoughts on music education are:
A music teacher is a teacher first, then a music teacher. The primary goal of the teacher is to produce better functioning members of society, the music teacher strives to do so by using music. As a band director(at a non-magnet school), one must consider that VERY VERY few students plan on making a career out of music, much less as a pro performer. Therefore, this goal of making better functioning members of society becomes very important. Although, I do agree that students with special aptitudes should be 1) identified and 2) have special programs put in place for them.

For the record I am going through a similar situation with my band director, and I thinkg Mr. Devires is 1) a good teacher for seeking out a more informed opinion 2) GREAT for even considering the good of the student on the same tier as the ensemble. And, although not a pro rank tuba or ANYTHING like that, I will have to agree that, if this student has true pro potential, and you feel that the sousaphone COULD (not will, but could) hurt that, then let him march with bells of tenors of bass drums or whatever. But, you know this student mor than I do, and if you feel that he will be a jerk about this to the rest of his section, you will be neglescting your role as a teacher, not producing a better member of society. IF you feel that this student will somehow think and act as though marchign band is beneath him, I porpose making him march with the sousaphone, but either A) instruct him how to play it without damaging his lips or B) marchi the sousa without a mouthpiece.
But then, after having siad this, I remember from your original post that you have a small band, so you might need sound somewhere else, in which case, disregard my suggestion.

Eric

Sorry Mr. Bertolet, but other in educational situations that AREN'T an arts magnet school have to consider education differently.

Follow Ups: