Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 13, 2001 at 21:13:59:

In Reply to: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!! posted by Chuck(G) on August 13, 2001 at 18:10:03:

I am no so sure, that I do agree with you on this one.

If the CC tuba in question is part of a general show-off pattern of behaviour by our young original poster, then any teacher would (and should) go into red alert.

But if this had been the case, our poster probably would have gotten something more flashy than a Miraphone 186 to flash. Which said one yet has any chance to play better than the two Yamaha 4 valve BBb models, that I know of: the YBB 641 rotary and the YBB 321 piston.

Most teaching entities, that I ever knew of, have been short in funding, so the "horn envy" situation is one of bad perception and of bad wording/PR. By the band director.

If the BBb instrument, that James played (that is sort of equaling "occupied") really is worth a students effort and time, then any sane teacher/band director should rejoice by the mere prospect, that James will un-occupy this instrument by bringing his own, better, instrument .

Because James, most likely funded and supported by family members of one or two predecessing generations, by bringing his 186 sets a noticeable portion of the school music program budget free. If I lost you on my linguistic detours: The band director now has an extra instrument of a relevant quality to give to yet another tuba student.

The notion that a mixed BBb/CC tuba should be less in tune, than one comprising instruments of only one of these pitches is not valid. If a tuba section can only play in tune on similar instruments, then it most likely is out of tune with a tuner, not to say the band. At least on certain notes.

If players of BBb instruments are flatter than a CC instrument on 2nd space C, then they most likely are to blame themselves. And should consider using the 4th valve on that note.

If players of BBb instruments are flatter than a CC instrument on E natural just below the system, then they kindly might ask the CC player to substitute his 1+2 fingering with that of 3.

The choice of any given pitch of tuba can be based on feel and even on ease of fingerings. It never will, nor should, provide any excuses for playing out of tune.

As a former teacher I find, that this band director is painting himself up in a corner of ignorance. He might winn this one in the short run. But is he really worth keeping, no matter how surprising his explanation might be? (My points of view do not exclude diplomacy during the ongoing resolution of the case).

Klaus

Follow Ups: