Re: Poll: other music style preference

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by euphgirl on August 14, 2003 at 15:22:07:

In Reply to: Poll: other music style preference posted by Winton on August 12, 2003 at 20:46:06:

Okay, I'll admit it...I listen to rap. And hip-hop. And I'm a female. Of course that's not the only thing I listen to, and admittedly some of it is extremly violent, overtly sexual, screaming of misogynism, and so forth, but the rest of it just makes me want to dance. I think it's the pounding basslines that get me, and believe it or not, some of it tries delivers a positive message (see some of Tupac Shakur's stuff).
I also teach in a predominantly black school, and I feel that I should know what my kids are listening to. Many people don't understand the b-boy/rap/hip-hop generation, or recognize what the artists do as a talent. My argument is that many years ago, public school systems began to eliminate their arts programs, and laying down some lyrics on top of a beat pounded on a desk or a plastic bucket was all that these kids had left. Far be it from me to criticize those who are working hard and succeeding in the music industry.

Follow Ups: