Re: Yamaha F compared to B&S F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by scott on December 11, 1998 at 19:46:04:

In Reply to: Yamaha F compared to B&S F posted by Michael Sanders on December 11, 1998 at 15:00:23:

I recently purchased a PT-15. It holds quite well as a solo instrument, and is the only F tuba I found to hold up to the trombone section in the orchestra. The Yamaha 822 also holds up as a solo horn, but the 'vanilla' sound of the horn in sometimes lost in big halls. I know quite a few people who own both horns. For modifications, I put the 5th valve in the left hand, a trigger on the first valve slide with the right thumb, and a thumb ring on the left thumb. The low register on Yamaha will accept thinner air, but the B&S horns require much more, making it more difficult (the pt-10 low register is even harder to produce than the new 15).
I use the B&S (C and F) in orchestra (100 about). In operas or ballets, I would prefer the Yamaha. These are both very fine horns and it comes down to a matter of personal choice. Try to test both of these in various ensembles to see which one you like the best.

Best Wishes!

Follow Ups: