Re: Advantage of CC tuba over anything else

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Winton on December 12, 1999 at 02:27:38:

In Reply to: Advantage of CC tuba over anything else posted by T on December 12, 1999 at 00:40:13:

I don't really know WHY college professors seem to have you buy the most expensive types of tubas and have you learn different fingerings. Maybe to make you look (as you close your teeth and say) "upper-class." I only know one BBb college tuba player playing the St. Petersburg and he's awsome at it. And you have to reset your knowledge of fingerings and sometimes music theory of the tuba and change to a CC tuba. I would've done better improving on tuba if I didn't change to a CC tuba.

But the thing with CC tubas (you probably know) is that they're brighter so they blend in better for orchestras, brass quintets, and small ensembles. Man, I love the sound of the BBb tuba and its sound for band. But seriously, I heard them in brass quintets once, and it's just too much. Unless you're doing some jazz or funk.

It was easier to blow through CC tubas (compared to the crappy school tubas) (and it being a higher pitch), but opposing to the other replier (sorry), CC tubas tend to be more out of tune. Just like F tubas are worse than C tubas tuning-wise.

*****But depending on what you want to do. If you plan on sticking with band stuff and no orchestra, stick with the BBb. Cuz even if you want to do quintets, you can always learn the F tuba.

Winton

Follow Ups: