Re: Re: Re: Brass tech in Dallas Area

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 30, 1999 at 08:20:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Brass tech in Dallas Area posted by Joe Baker on December 30, 1999 at 00:26:55:

You're absolutely right, since you can't see the slide in action there is no way to know when it returns to a specific spot. There used to be a spring loaded device known as a "Pitch Finder" that Gene Pokorny used to use back when he was in St. Louis but it quickly fell out of favor. I investigated many designs and came to the conclusion that the best option was just to practice feeling where the slide is when in the "center" position and then just adjusting it back to that spot after manipulating any given note. If you ever see me in a concert, you'll notice that I constantly look down (when I have rests) to verify the slide is adjusted to where I think it is. One nice thing I have built into my design is a retaining screw that will hold the slide in a given spot. I had to have this because the slide is very loose so that it can move effectively while I'm playing. This means that if I'm not holding the stick, the slide will slip out to the flattest position. I find the retaining screw useful for situations where I'm not doing alot of adjusting.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to contact me. Good luck!

Follow Ups: