Re: Re: Re: Re: TubaChristmas "elitists"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on December 08, 2002 at 10:17:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: TubaChristmas "elitists" posted by beg to differ on December 08, 2002 at 08:03:28:

Well, "beg to differ," or "Dale," whichever you prefer... (BTW, Dean is my name, so you can drop the quotes if you like)

I highly doubt that the majority of tuba-euph awareness comes from tubachristmas, or any other mass playing... Plus, my point was not specifically HOW MANY tubas and euphs are involved, but HOW they are involved... How often do a bunch of tubas andd euphs get together and play Christmas carols?? Umm.. once a year... right about now.. Ohh, and how about marching bands?? There, the public sees between 6--12 tubas and some "euphs" as well... depending on the stadium, we're talking up to 90,000 people.... There are plenty of other places for the public to hear us.

So, does this experience teach our audience anything ABOUT the tubas and euphs? Nope, only that they exist, perhaps, and they wont see them again like this until next year...

And YES, I play because it's fun! I enjoy it! Always have! You know what, if I didn't enjot it, I WOULD STOP! Surprising, huh? Yes I try to play my best, but my true motivation is having fun--enjoying playing, and when I lose that motivation, well, I wont get any better. TubaChristmas is fun, thats what it should be. If you want a "musically rewarding experience" then get a spot in a good community band, or get a gig. There are plenty of other ways to have professional or near-professional experiences, dont shut out those that just want to have a good time.

Follow Ups: