Re: Tuba Returnee seeks Eb advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin Miller on December 22, 2002 at 08:59:55:

In Reply to: Tuba Returnee seeks Eb advice posted by Don Shirer on December 22, 2002 at 00:09:46:

Don,

Go with the 4 valve Eb if you plan on staying with Eb. 3 valve Eb tubas are almost worthless unless you will only be playing Eb bass parts in a British style brass band.Contemporary 3 valve Eb tubas are generally small bore and small bell instruments designed for middle school aged beginners. They lack the presence and weight of tone to be an effective large ensemble instrument. Think about playing low Bb on a 3 valve horn(1&3?). That's a bread and butter note in band music and there you are playing it 1&3 and playing horribly sharp! The same thing applies to playing F as well. I play a Besson 981 exclusively and have never had a problem keeping up with any band or orchestra repertoire, plus it is a fantastic quintet horn that blends well with any combination within the group. If you're going to own only one tuba to be an all around horn, many pros will recommend a full size EEb. Just speaking from my perspective on the Besson 981, it has the nimbleness to get around the upper range with ease and the presence in the low range to put a bottom on any larger ensemble I play in. Plus it has the sweetest ringing tone of any tuba I have ever played on. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Kevin Miller

Follow Ups: