Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where can I get parts for this?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bloke on February 12, 2004 at 09:11:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where can I get parts for this? posted by Daniel C. Oberloh on February 12, 2004 at 02:50:55:

No flame at all, but directing your eyes to "D." in the upper picture, I did (what I thought to be) a quick "emergency" conversion on my own instrument using these links about eleven years ago. I was astounded at the smoothness, silence, and reliability of operation. To this day, I have not replaced any of those links, nor any parts of those links.

I have access to some very handsome and well-made metal links (Super Link) that appear to be superior to Minibal...Heck, they're even gold annodized. (I showed pics of 'em on tubenet a couple of weeks ago.) I'll be offering them to customers who want something that works well and looks sleek, but as far as my personal instrument there's simply no reason to redo the "cheap" could-not-possibly-be-more-perfect plastic/brass links.

Ya' know, all links (even Minibal) end up wearing...Even a Volvo engine eventually wears out..., but these particular plastic links have a tension screw, as as they wear, (maybe once every couple of years or so) I can simply remove the tiny bit of "play" that occurs by tightening that screw...with my fingernail. Incidentally, the plastic in these Dubro links has remained stable through being subjected to contact with all sorts of "fad" lubricants over the years.

The stainless steel all-thread connectors (let's face it) is handy, and can be very easily bent for the optimum geometry. (Even my currently-thought-to-be-the-best-tuba-on-the-market tuba had geometry problems with its linkage arm that I had to solve, because the Minibal center screw was dragging on the Minibal body - causing the rotor to hang.) Yeah, using stainless steel all-thread with the black plastic Dubro is "ugly", but for customers I cover it with black shrink tubing for a unified smooth black appearance.

Even Thayer uses plastic links (truly crappy ones) on their valve linkage (links that I would never consider using) but with surprisingly few complaints.

Follow Ups: