Re: Re: Re: developing the upper range for tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 02, 2000 at 20:24:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: developing the upper range for tuba posted by carrie on January 02, 2000 at 18:22:45:

It sounds like you're covering most of the bases from a conceptual standpoint. You might want to try something a little more physical. How much time do you actually spend working on your high range, as in playing high range notes? My approach is that all things tuba need time to develop. Therefore, you should actively be working on all aspects of your playing to improve. The high range is no different. You need to develop the muscles in your chops to handle high range playing. I would start by picking whatever music you want to play that stays exclusively in the high range. I would play this music for specific time periods, without stopping, until you get tired. Treat it like a workout such that everytime you do it, you try to go for just a little longer. ALWAYS be careful you aren't straining or doing things that are counter to what you know about successful high range technique. In this regard, there is NO substitute for a really great teacher who can help you to not acquire really bad habits. When you can go really long periods at the current level of high range notes, start moving higher and repeat the procedure. Just keep your playing technique fundamentally sound and your standards of sound the same as any other range and you will progress with time. Good luck!

Follow Ups: