Does Size Matter, Some Observations

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Swami on January 17, 2000 at 19:17:18:

I recently started sorting out some cd's. I took time to listen to some of my favorites. I was particulary impressed(then and now) at the St. Louis SO recordings of Prokofiev. I then listened to a recording of Nevsky by the NYPO recorded in 1980(my dates may be wrong). I was impressed at how well I could hear the tuba, the clarity of sound and precision. I then listened to some recent recordings of Chicago and NY and was impressed at how well I could FEEL the prescence of the tuba, but not really hear the clarity. Now, befor e I ask the following questions I will state 1) I am not making a judgement about any of the players 2) I have really good stereo equipment, and 3) I am genuinely interested in your thoughts. Here Goes!

1) Both Warren and Gene played moderate sized equipment in the early part of their careers. The first recordings are samples of that. Did the switch to larger equipment sacrifice the clarity? Has any one who has switched to the 6/4 size instruments noticed any change? If so, how did you adjust?

2) Has audio engineering changed radically enough to reduce the prescence of the tuba. I understand alot of recording mikes are so sensitive that only one may be used for any given recording.

3) Is this the direction that American tuba playing is taking? Tough question. I know we want to be individual, but the status quo has been changed numerous times.

4) My only opinion is that I like the more present sound of an early Pokorny or Deck, however, the new recordings are gorgeous for their ensemble, something(flame throwers hold on)that we Americans are not great about. We play well together as a low brass section, but sometimes within the orchestra situation , there is a preponderance of sound that sometimes overtakes the music. I think we all can think of a couple of recordings we drooled over in college for their low brass histrionics that we now shiver at.

As always, any thoughts and concerns will be greatly appreciated. Please don't flame me on some of my thoughts. They are mine, I am not trying to slam, just looking for other opinions. Thanks in advance.

Swami

Follow Ups: