Re: Re: Re: Re: Hirsbrunner/Nirschl Evaluation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on January 18, 2001 at 22:55:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Hirsbrunner/Nirschl Evaluation posted by Bill Jagnow on January 18, 2001 at 22:07:08:

IMHO, the PT-6's and the MW 2155/2000 have the best bang for the buck of anything going. You do indeed have a great horn.

As far as the Nirschl and Hirsbrunner 6/4 York copies, they too are fantastic instruments. While maybe not as versatile as their 5/4 counterparts, they are still fun to play. I have to say that I spend much more sit down and perform time on my F and 4/4 Hirsbrunner than I do on the Yorkbrunner. If I did not have access to a 4/4 horn, I would not have purchased the 6/4. Although the most fun to play, and the most fulfilling to try to master, it is the least performed on, at present.

I have had the instrument now for about 6 months and am still learning it's temperments. It took me close to 2 years before I really started to feel at ease with my previous CC and I suppose it will take a bit longer with this one also.

I bought the horn in part because I ran into a lucky financial situation with an Army sign-on bonus coupled with a horn sale and I like to keep myself challenged. The Yorkbrunner and Nirschl 6/4 are different beasts from 4/4 CC's. I feel as though I went from tenor trombone to bass trombone. Same fingerings, same key and octave, same basic range, and even the same overall shape. The difference is how they are utilized.

As far as playing with more foundation, as you put it, that comes down to good examples, good teaching, and lots of good practice. The practice part being the most important. Hear is a guaranteed plan for advancement. Follow this plan and you WILL see noticable improvement in sound quality.

1. Practice 4-6 times/day for 1 hour each separated by at least 1 hour. (Log it)
2. Activelly absorb 2+ hours/day of quality music.
3. Activelly listen to all possible quality professional musical performances weekly
4. Take lessons with people who have proven track records for results
5. Be eager and willing to repeat steps 1-4 for the rest of your life

The main thing is simply putting in the consistant quality time. It takes patience and diligence. Working too little for 10 years is just as futile as working your tail off for only a few months. Even when there is no immediate audition or recital in your horizons, keep up the pace. Sometimes auditions pop up with little to no warning. If you are always in top form, then you will be in a better position.

One of the most remarkable sounds I ever heard was that of Chris Hall in a small practice room at Northwestern University while he was in the Civic. His sound was so strong that the mezzo fortes caused the windows to buzz. He plays on a 4/4 Hirsbrunner. It ain't necessarily the horn that allows him to sound the way he does. It is what he makes of it.

If you have a good horn which is underutilized, then work on that part first. You might even have better luck at auditions with the PT-6 than with a larger horn as the PT-6 might be easier to control.

I am rambling on too long again.

sean

Follow Ups: