Tuning

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Phil Sloffer on January 04, 2002 at 11:25:09:

I read all the messages about playing in tune etc. and wanted to offer for what it is worth a few observations and suggestions. First of all everyones comments where correct. All of them. This may seem impossible but that is how tuning really is. Here is an exercise I play which I think all of you should try at least once. Set at the piano with your horn and play the piano while you play your horn. Play chromatic scales in the following ways. First just match pitches. Most of you have done this. Next play intervals with the piano. That is to say if you play a C on the tuba you might play a G on the piano. Do this playing 3rds, 4ths and 5ths between you and the piano up and down the scale.

In equal temperament the 3rds are wide by 14 cents, 4ths are wide by 2 cents and 5ths are narrow by 2 cents. So if you play C on the tuba you will have to play C 14 cents flat to play in tune with Ab on the piano. You will have to play C 14 cents sharp to play in tune with E on the piano. In other words you have to be able to play a spread of 28 cents. Try the same thing on other notes as well. If you can do this you should be able to adjust your tuning to most any playing situation.

Follow Ups: