How did you get your start?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on January 26, 2002 at 21:36:41:

The thread below on what horns fols started on got me thinking. We all play tuba, we all hopefully love music, and I'd bet most of us are pretty good at what we do musically. But with all of these similarities music-wise, I bet just how we STARTED musically is as unique as fingerprints (bad example, i know).

I grew up as a kid thinking I'd play either the trombone or sax or some cool intrument on the side. Then in elementary school we had this moron music teacher who insisted that the only way for kids to like music was to sing along in an obscenely high voice with a recording of other kids singing music from grease, or some song about a donkey. The only experience we had with instruments were the little plastic recorders, but since music class didn't count for a grade, none of us cared to practice.

Well, middle school hits and they ask each student, do you want to take PE all year, or band or chorus with half a year of PE?

Haivng been (and still am in fact) slightly lazy and/or overweight, I opted for band,t hinking i oculd play trumpet and just look at the guy next to me and do what he did with his fingers. I hated music, but i hated running more.

Well, boom, somehow i choose to play tuba and 7 years later im participating in All-State Band, UGA Jan'Fest, nominated for Governor's Honors, principal tuba at my high school, Band Captain, and the locally recognized "Band-geek."

This story must have lost something in the telling (it always does) but does anyone else have recollection of how you got started in music, and how far that took you before you realized it?

Doug "BAND-NERD!!!!!!!!!!!!!" G

Follow Ups: