Re: possible easy solution 2 Jay's pet peeve

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 14, 1999 at 23:09:45:

In Reply to: possible easy solution 2 Jay's pet peeve posted by Joe Sellmansberger on July 14, 1999 at 22:47:12:

Actually, I got a very interesting and informative e-mail from Matt Walters at Dillon's and he set me straight on a couple of things that I wasn't aware of.

Apparently, this "gap" that happens between the leadpipe and the end of the mouthpiece is yet another variable in choosing how to equip your tuba. It seems that players, using the Dillon Adjustable Gap Receiver device, can adjust the feel and projection of their tuba by manipulating the size of the gap. Kelly O'Bryant had posted info on this a while back because he does the same thing with his tuba. I was proceeding under the assumption that there was only one "correct" fit for this gap and it turns out that simply isn't the case. So my idea of a standardized situation with leadpipes and mouthpieces is probably not even desirable as there will be as many opinions on which size of gap a given player prefers as there will be opinions on what mouthpiece shape and size a player prefers.

Ironically, the Rudy Meinl CC I use has exactly the type of non-receiver Joe proposes. The receiver isn't one at all, but instead a protective cuff that surrounds the tapered end of the leadpipe and only looks like a receiver. I can't help but wonder how different I would sound if I were to grind the end of my mouthpiece down to make a "razor sharp" edge that would mesh with the leadpipe more closely. Anybody have a nail file? :)

Follow Ups: