Mercedes tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on July 18, 2000 at 01:00:47:

Couple o' questions for those in the know out there:

1) Anyone know who ultimately makes Mercedes Tubas coming out of East Europe? My repair guy sez it's made by Schneider, which I am also unfamiliar with. I've seen some marching Baritones in the past stamped 'Mercedes by Bach'. Weird, eh? I've got a used Tuba on hand, a 4/4 rotary that I'm considering for purchase ('cause it's what I can afford). "GDR" is stamped on receiver and bell, so it was probably made before the fall of the Berlin Wall.

I'm aware of the heated opinions that some folks have about Eastern European tubas; I've seen some of 'em and won't totally disagree.

This particular one has surprised me, however. 4/4 BBb 4V rotary, .750" bore. 16-1/2" bell, but with a hearty taper leading to it. Plays kinda Mirafone-ish. Nickel slides, trim, & bell rim ring leads me to believe it's not the student model in their lineup. Main tuning slide is 'vertical'(like a Czerveny). . Could be a Meinl or Czerveny copy.

Receiver is funky - taper is a little too quick, causing mpc to not go in quite as far as it ought & wobble just a wee bit. 'Plays okay like this though (think I'll replace the receiver w/ an another one, anyway, so I can call the tuba *customized*). Tee hee hee!

Question 2): If I buy this puppy (once again, price IS a factor here & I'll get lots o' bang for the buck), am I going to be able to get parts for it if ever needeed?

And anticipating the punsters: No, there isn't a snazzy three point logo on the bell like the status automobile, Hey, maybe I can get one o' them hood ornaments (big neck pendant if you prefer) attached to the bell . . . . .Voila! *customized*

-- Mark "I'm not gonna pay a lot for this muffler" Mazak

(Sorry if that middle name has been used already. I didn't check the archives.)

Follow Ups: