Re: Mercedes tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on July 18, 2000 at 05:58:35:

In Reply to: Mercedes tuba posted by Mark on July 18, 2000 at 01:00:47:

In the GDR era most east German makers were under the commercial roof of the B&S conglomerate. Syhre being the only independent maker I am aware of.

The top line B&S tubas are well known for their high quality. The second line was officially marketed under the name Weltmeister. As long we are talking rotary tubas they basically were the same as the top line. Only the lever and spring systems were more primitive.

These tubas can be found with numerous different stampings/engravings, as the east Germans would do almost anything to get western currencies. (They even would circumvent their own contracts of exclusive dealerships in different western countries. I have a top class 5 valve single Bb French horn, which clearly is made by Hoyer. But to cheat the Danish importer of Hoyer horns it is engraved B&S, so it could be sold through another importer).

The only thing puzzling me is the vertical main tuning slide, which I do not remember from the BBb models.

About the taper of the receiver: If the receiver is equipped with as much nickel silver as usual non the east German instruments, then it should be possible for a qualified repairman to fix it by means of a Morse taper reamer (or is it a rivet).

Klaus

Follow Ups: