Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Leaks in the mouth area

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on July 29, 2000 at 18:47:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Leaks in the mouth area posted by Jay Bertolet on July 28, 2000 at 08:13:28:

I'm going to pick nits for just a moment and disagree with you Jay. If we already knew everything there was to know about sound production it does not follow that we would automatically all play the same way. Quite the opposite I believe. If not because of we each use different equipment then most definately due to the fact that none of us have identical oral and facial structures. Just talk to any trombone player that is interested in Doug Elliott's ideas on upstream vs. downstream playing to get an earfull regarding variabilities in teeth and lip structures(It's actually pretty boring and pointless in my very humble opinion). AND if you reject those two arguments *then* you have to consider the fact that differing artistic concepts will have a strong influence on how one approaches sound production. While it can be granted that all of us are heading toward basically the same goal the subtle differences is what keeps what we do interesting and makes what we do art.

While I fully understand and accept the fact that when studying with a teacher I should attempt to emulate their approach(Why else would I study with someone unless I wanted to sound like him/her?) I get very very nervous when a teacher attempts to draw undue attention to my physical processes(not that this happens often anymore). Often times in this situation I find I have better luck ignoring their physical advice altogether and trying to weed out what it is that they are ultimately trying to get me to produce out of my horn. I've had more than one experience, as I'm sure others have had as well, in which I've completely ignored the advice given and produced the desired result simply by focusing my attention on the end result. In these cases the teacher achieves a wonderful sense of accomplishment for having 'fixed' something and I go home with a better sense of what it is that I need to be aware of in my own playing. Everyone is happy.

As per usual.. I'm always open to being proven wrong and hearing other peoples ideas.

respectfully,
joseph

Follow Ups: