Re: Re: I'm looking for

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on July 12, 2003 at 22:24:56:

In Reply to: Re: I'm looking for posted by Jay Bertolet on July 12, 2003 at 21:49:28:

I agree with Jay's experience with the Willson. I played the Besson 983 Eb for a few years, but was never comfortable below low BBb, due to the added resistance. I was able to borrow a friend's Willson Eb, and absolutely loved the horn. It had a more substantial sound than the 983, an easy blowing low register, and a more even sound from bottom to top, whereas the 983 had a lighter sound in the upper register.

If the funds were available, I would have purchased one, and would likely have never made the switch to CC for an improved low register. Now that I've figured out CC fingerings, my plan is to try to find the CC that plays as well as the Besson in the upper register (or as closely as possible) and try to make that my primary horn -- again, once additional funding is available. I'm suspicious the Conn 52J may be close to what I'm seeking. If I strike out, I may have to once again consider the Willson Eb -- but I'd prefer to stay with CC if possible, to avoid another switch in key.

HTH,

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: