Re: Re: Re: orchestral recordings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 11, 1999 at 08:40:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: orchestral recordings posted by Dave on June 10, 1999 at 22:04:30:

Maybe you should go back and reread both the original post and my original post and check out what you see. Here is what I saw:

"I was wondering what recordings I should buy to hear really good orchesral playing. I know Chicago & New York have great players, but what I am wondering is what pieces are tuba-heavy. Bruckner 8 is good. How are the other Bruckner symphonies? What are some of the good composers and pieces for orchestral tuba?"

This quote, from the original post, sounds to me like he knows that Chicago and New York have good players but doesn't know what pieces to be looking for that will have alot of "orchestral tuba" writing. Do you read this differently?

"Why not stick with the classic five excerpt pieces as a start? When I first started working on excerpts for auditions, I bought recordings of the pieces I was working on to get an idea of how things were supposed to go. The extra benefit was that such pieces are generally fairly busy for the tuba and so you get to hear some good playing if the guy does his job."

I'm wondering where in this quoted paragraph, from my response, I suggest that "John" (who made the original post) should begin working on excerpts. I simply relay how I started picking recordings to buy for my own education which just happens to be tied to practicing excerpts for auditions. It seems to me that the last sentence of that paragraph clearly states that these pieces "are generally fairly busy for the tuba" and directly responds to the original request for pieces that are "tuba-heavy".

"Of course, there are many, many more [recordings] that you should study but these might give you a good start."

I added the word "recordings" to the above sentence, from my response, because I think you may have misread and misunderstood what I originally wrote. I hope this clears it up for you. Isn't it clear that I'm saying these recordings are only "a good start"? Isn't the implication that there is much more out there, other than the recordings I listed, of great value?

You make a very good point about not limiting one's education to excerpts, a point I agree with and have stated on many occasions. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion I was suggesting otherwise after you read my post. It sounds to me like we agree more than not. I hope this review of my statements clarifies my views for you.

Follow Ups: