Re: 6/4 tuba: Hirs vs. MW vs. PT-7 vs...etc?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 10, 2000 at 16:09:08:

In Reply to: 6/4 tuba: Hirs vs. MW vs. PT-7 vs...etc? posted by Curious...... on June 10, 2000 at 13:36:42:

I've pretty much played all the tubas you refer to (Yorkbrunner, 2165, Neptune) except the PT-7. And I've played some you haven't mentioned. And I used to think this class of tuba just wasn't for me at all. That is until I tried a Nirschl York Copy. One of my biggest problems with these 6/4 type tubas is how much they cost for what they give you. After playing the Nirschl for a couple of hours, I used it in a performance of Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet and I bought the horn almost as fast because I felt it was worth every penny. This is a complete reversal from my thinking prior to playing the Nirschl. In my opinion, the difference between the Nirschl and all the rest is how easy it plays. Many of these 6/4 tubas are somewhat cumbersome to control. Some also take alot of work to get the most out of. The Nirschl is exactly the opposite. It is a really easy tuba to play.

Obviously, this tuba is a really good match for me. There are certainly others who tried it and thought otherwise. So you still have to get out there and see what works for you. My opinion is that you would be hard pressed to find a better tuba, no matter the price.

My opinion for what its worth...

Follow Ups: