Re: WOW!! Buy this recording NOW!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on June 17, 2000 at 07:58:27:

In Reply to: WOW!! Buy this recording NOW! posted by Sean Chisham on June 16, 2000 at 14:33:59:

Bless all of you who are responding with such enthusiasm to the Arnold Jacobs tribute CD. I could not agree more with Sean when he observed this could be the cheapest and most valuable lesson you'll ever have. The good part is, you can listen to this a hundred times and still get something out of it. I don't think it is an overstatement to say that hearing this CD could change your life, tuba-wise.

Few people ever had the privilege of hearing Arnold Jacobs play "up close and personal" and this gives the total picture: the intimate side, quintet playing, and fantastic orchestral material. I don't know any player who could so consistently play with such clarity and technique and with such a massive, focused sound. You must hear it to believe it. In addition, his intelligent, articulate, and elegant spoken segments are so inspiring. What a great man he was.

The original plan was to make this a two CD set, and then it was decided to start with one. I think that was a good decision. Be assured that the decision to do another one depends in part on the response to this one, so spread the word. (Please know I have not, nor will I, received a dime from this or any future project)

There is not an unlimited amount of material....but there is more. This one would continue to be the "cornerstone volume" but there is easily enough for another CD. It is essential to the profession that people hear this and be influenced by it. The Arnold Jacobs legacy must be preserved.

The CD can be ordered online from both Summit Records and WindSong Press. Hopefully it will be in stores (in addition to Tower NYC!) within the next month. There are plans to put something in the TUBA Journal about it, and I know of one review (for FANFARE) that is already in the works. There is no substitute for the personal recommendation, however. Grab your friends, your students, and anyone who appreciates amazing musicianship.

Follow Ups: