Re: Warm-Ups

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Russo on June 18, 2001 at 19:27:43:

In Reply to: Warm-Ups posted by Dan Mordhorst on June 18, 2001 at 17:09:51:

oh....I have a bad feeling I'm going to get some major flames for this, but I would recommend learning to play/practice/perform with no warm-up. I'm a firm believer of the school that your first note of today should be your best note from yesterday. If you approach practice like that, then play the things that are the hardest for you to do right off the bat. If you can play Bydlo cold at the beginning of the day, it won't seem quite as bad after a few mvts off in the orchestra. (ok....so it's still hard, but you should have a little more confidence! :) Same can be said for flexibility, loud playing, soft playing, low playing, etc. If you are practicing regularly, the body really won't need time to warm back up. Most people that I hear warm up are just engaging their mind, not getting the body into shape.

Now, I should say that there is another school of thought that says that doing the EXACT same things everyday is of huge benefit. (Bell Scales, Remington Warm Up) These are usually under 20 min or so and are played EXACTLY the same way everyday. It's said that this helps to ground the person, and give them a reference point everyday. My problem with that is that I can't find that 20 min everyday BEFORE I have to start playing.

My $.02!

mike russo

Follow Ups: