Re: The Engineered Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jin Andrada on June 04, 2002 at 12:24:51:

In Reply to: The Engineered Tuba posted by Jim Andrada on June 02, 2002 at 21:13:24:

As someone said on the "hand bruising on Euphonium" thread, the ergonomics of tunas and Euphoniums are pretty poor.

Some reasons relate to the physical size and weight of the instruments putting a lot of strange demands on us to support them adequately while at the same time trying to get a sufficiently relaxed hand and finger motion.

I seem to recall that Dale Phelps had an older horn (was it the Zeiss?) that had the rotary valve clutser angled to produce a more natural hand position. What else could we do along these lines?

One more thought though - I remember looking at his horn and thinking that it somehow "looked strange" and I was somehow put off by the appearance.

Which raises the question of whether we'd actually accept a radical approach if we were disturbed by its non traditional appearance

I don't think the recumbent bicycle has taken the world by storm - could this be the same problem? Would people buy a car that had 3 headlights?

Follow Ups: