Re: Re: The Engineered Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on June 04, 2002 at 13:53:57:

In Reply to: Re: The Engineered Tuba posted by Jin Andrada on June 04, 2002 at 12:24:51:

The DP slant-rotor horn would be his Sander that's up for sale. I believe that Miraphone also has one (187?) like this and the slant rotors were a trademark of Fred Marzan's horns, although I've also heard them called "carpal tunnel valves".

Strange as it may seem, I think the top-action instruments aren't horrible ergonomically, if the the durned valves weren't up so high as to force you to bring your hand up to shoulder level, rather than somewhat lower. Perhaps some sort of linkage could be worked out without making things too heavy to allow one to place the hand no higher than an inch or two above the lap AND have the keys spaced a reasonable distance.

Or perhaps we could place keys accessible with both hands in an arrangement modeled after our woodwind (bassoon, bass clarinet, etc.) brethern.

I've got front-action instruments that place the valves in a more-or-less vertical line and some that place them at a diagonal. I much prefer the diagonal orientation, though I can't complain about any RSD aches and pains with either.

Follow Ups: