Re: Re: Learn Me! What's the difference...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 13, 2002 at 15:24:03:

In Reply to: Re: Learn Me! What's the difference... posted by InkyDaveB on June 13, 2002 at 13:59:12:

BBb tubas are have tubing (with valves up) that is about 18 feet long if you unwound it. CC tubas are about 16 feet long. Eb tubas are about 13 feet long, and F tubas are about 12 feet long. The valves-up open instrument plays the harmonic series associated with its length. For a BBb, that's BBb, Bb, F, Bb, D, F, Ab (though out of tune), Bb, C, and so on, starting from the lowest note the open instrument will play and going up. The series for C has the same intervals, but starts on CC. Likewise for Eb and F. The valves by and large do the same things on all of them, so the fingerings for a concert Bb scale on a Bb tuba are the same they would be on a C tuba playing a concert C scale.

All tuba music is the same, if you aren't in a British Brass Band. (There are other exceptions, but you won't run into them). All of it is written in concert pitch, just like it is for a piano. So, each tuba has its own set of fingerings for the notes on the page. An Eb below the staff, for example, is played first valve on a BBb tuba, 2-3 on a CC tuba, open on an Eb tuba, and first valve on an F tuba. When you switch from one instrument to another, you have to apply a different set of fingerings.

For a returning adult who learned on Bb, I would suggest sticking with Bb. Used Bb instruments are cheaper than C tubas for the same quality, and much more widely available. You won't have to learn new fingerings (though you will have to relearn, of course). A Bb tuba is fully appropriate for the music most community-band amateurs play. When you get to the point where a BBb tuba doesn't meet your needs, you'll know enough to answer this question and you'll therefore know what your next step should be. Most community band players happily never reach that point.

The major obstacles to changing to CC or F tubas are that they are harder to find in the lower price ranges and more expensive than BBb tubas of similar quality. You'll have to learn new fingerings. Eb tubas are not more expensive, but good ones are harder to find, and the cheaper three-valve Eb tubas are usually a bit over-experienced and won't play the full range of notes found in band literature without learning special techniques, a problem they share with F tubas.

I would suggest getting a used, BBb tuba with four valves. Good new ones for your application can be bought for under $3000, and used models in excellent condition can be found readily for around $2000. If you don't mind it being ugly, good-playing BBb tubas can frequently be found in the $1000-1500 range. You'd have a hard time finding any playable CC or F tuba for under $2500, or any Eb tuba at all with more than three valves that would be any cheaper.

Older examples of King 2341, Miraphone 186, Meinl-Weston Model 25, or not-so-old VMI tubas are good ones to look for.

Rick "who has trod this path" Denney

Follow Ups: