Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Placement of tuning slides on horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 07, 2003 at 20:35:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Placement of tuning slides on horn posted by actually.... on June 07, 2003 at 18:11:50:

Maybe not moving the main slide works on trombone but not on tuba. The best slide manipulation technique I've ever used is the one that uses only the main slide. Using only valve slides means you can't adjust open notes. Using the main means that you only need to grab one slide and use it for any adjustments you need.

I think determining how much actual pitch difference there is for different lengths of slide movement is a relative thing. For example, I can show you players that play a note exactly at the pitch that they hear it, regardless of where the slides are. Such players move the slide wherever they want and it won't make any difference. They unconsciously lip notes to where they hear them internally. To truly measure the amount of movement in a given slide pull, you would need the tuba equivalent of golf's Iron Byron. You know, the meachanical device that hits golf balls exactly the same way every time. Of course, such a device could very well put many of us out of business!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: