Re: Dan Perantoni at the IHS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on June 09, 2003 at 10:53:19:

In Reply to: Dan Perantoni at the IHS posted by Mary Ann on June 09, 2003 at 09:52:47:

In context, I have to agree. We are brought up to play free blowing bigger instruments. When we pick up an F, our pre-programmed hearing and "feel" sensory muscles resist the way the F tuba plays. Instead of getting used to the F, alot of folks simply want the F changed to fit these sensory imperatives, thus changing it's unique quality. Just spending time on the F, learning how it blows, and working on the dreaded low C usually works out any problems that may arise. I assume most youngsters start on F in Germany, hence they have no pre-programmed bias. I love playing the F. Having started it later in my playing career(at age 40) I have found that patience rules the roost. I think there is alot more use for them than meets the eye. I daresay 70% of the orchestra lit works as well or better than a big horn. I have read posts here from David Mills and others extolling the virtues of the instrument. These guys are full time players. Must mean something. Sorry for the rant.

Follow Ups: