Re: Re: Re: $NEW$ tuba on ebay - -what is it?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on May 16, 2001 at 12:57:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: $NEW$ tuba on ebay - -what is it? posted by Graham Smith on May 16, 2001 at 12:06:55:

It is overly easy to be smart across the pond, so I will limit myself:

I have only tried the euph and a couple of trumpets from Weril. I had reservations towards the valve cap threadings, which was more for nimble ladies’ hands than for my shovel mounted sausages. But if I had some street jobs, where I would not take my more expensive instruments, then I would have bought them for myself. And I would recommend them to students, if I still were into teaching. The best thing about the tested instruments was, that they clearly were made for playing music.

If this positive view applies for the tubas as well, I would go for them as well. But I have had no chance to test them.

I have found a York Master BBb. And imported it for my own use. Despite, that the more dubious seller did tell nothing of its sad state dentwise, it is a good player with exactly the capabilities I go for: intonation, darkness, huge sound, smoothness, flexibility....

But it might be hard to find. The York added sadly the Master term to some cheaper and less good 3 valved instruments. The ones to go for have 4 front action pistons.

If I were living in the US, I would try out the Schmidt/VMI 3301 and 3302 that Charlie has in the Tubastore. Even if I maybe live closer to the VMI factory, than you are to Charlie, it is almost impossible for me to get a chance to test the VMI’s over here.

Surely not very helpful, but at least a try.

Klaus

Follow Ups: