Re: Re: Role of EEb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eve on May 22, 2001 at 20:52:05:

In Reply to: Re: Role of EEb posted by Gerald J. on May 22, 2001 at 10:29:00:

I suspect the ORIGINAL function of the EEb tuba was easy conversion of excess trumpet and cornet players.

I doubt that.

In the brass Band world every instrument (except the bass trombone) functions that way, so that players were/are easily able to change instruments to better serve the band's balance and instrumentation needs. All the instruments are in either Bb or Eb, and are reading notation in transposed treble clef (Bb or Eb respectively).

Such is the nature of sets of saxhorns... or saxophones for that matter, as has been discussed here many times!!

The bass trombone is the anomaly in that a G trombone was often used (hend the "orchestral" bass clef).

-------------

As for the EEb "role" anyone who has done any writing/arranging (for brass band) will have figured out that you don't need to just double the BBb "real" bassline, although mostly you'll be similar. There are so many things that can be (and are) done.

I wouldn't really regard most EEb writing as a genuine "baritone" voice -- the majority of the time it is still function in a bass capacity.

A octave above the BBb is common of course, and fifths where that type of sound is required. Dividing either section of tubas is also common. Just EEbs playing (BBbs resting) is obviously a slight lightening of the bassline. More advanced music (and recent compositions) have explored the two tuba pitches as separate voices. Unless you want it voiced really low, a melody "solo" is best given to the EEbs (or one EEb player) rather than have the BBs in their upper register. Obviously it would be playable, but you want to play it safe when you the standard of the band (and availability of players) may be variable.

Follow Ups: