Re: Re: Re: Re: too many ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on May 03, 2003 at 18:35:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: too many ? posted by LV on May 03, 2003 at 18:03:51:

I respectfully disgree with you that Black Studies, Women's Studies, and other such coursework is not curricularly valid. Fact is that the our curriculum has a decidedly white male slant to it. This may or may not be a bad thing, but it is certainly valid to critically analyze the way we teach and what we profess are the "facts."

If you find it repulsive to learn anything beyond a purely job preparation than simply don't take the classes that you deem as unworthy. I personally think that it is worthwhile, even essential, that we question why we act, teach, and learn in a certain way. This critical examination is what feminist theory or Black Studies is all about. Will this study help you to become a better tradesperson... probably not. But is it academically valid, yes!

Women's Studies is not a Lesbian Support Group nor is it a political action committee. Similarly, studies on the African American experience is not about an armed Black Power Revolution. Certainly, there are those who were attracted to these disciplines for radical or militant reasons, but rarely stay when they found out it was about critical pedagogy.

Learning should be about more than filling you head with stuff. Especially when the "facts" may not actually be "facts" at all. I do not shate you vision of being "grounded in reality." Instead I would rather envision and create what can be.

Follow Ups: