Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: too many ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd S. Malicoate on May 03, 2003 at 20:01:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: too many ? posted by js on May 03, 2003 at 16:54:41:

The driving distance issue was actually a minor point - the impact on the students is much more important in my view. Should the students in these "satellite" colleges get the services of a professional player once a week and graduate with a performance degree, thinking that they're "ready" for the performance world? What about studio classes, low brass ensembles, and the other opportunities that a "real" tuba faculty member provides?

I have no problem with your assertion that it's more economically feasible (even desirable) to employ adjunct faculty. My problem is that the students educated by these once-a-week instructors graduate and THINK they're on equal footing with other graduates who have had a great deal more experience. Nobody's telling these graduates what they're missing in their preparation and, since they have no frame of reference, they have to find out the hard way.

Let's get some tuba professors out there who tell it like it is instead of making their students feel good about themselves all the time - whether they're full-time, part-time, adjunct, or whatever!

Follow Ups: