Re: Re: Re: Our business

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 05, 2003 at 17:46:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Our business posted by Taxes for the arts on May 05, 2003 at 16:36:00:

I think if you look at the audiences in most concert halls, you'll see lots of captains of industry. No, I don't think it is the capitalists who are at fault here. They are doing their part, and then some.

The question is which art gets supported? Whose art? I'm a photographer as well as a musician, and I think photography should be subsidized. Who are you to say it shouldn't? However many dollars government is willing to put up, there are more "artists" at the trough than that number will feed.

If we look at the music that really makes a different in people's lives, we'll find that the local bluegrass-oriented outdoor concert series will have a bigger impact "for the arts" than support for a classical orchestra that only the captains of industry (and their spouses) and a few music students attend.

I think it's a fair discussion as to whether or not the public wants to fund arts organizations through government, and the answer can and will be arrived at through debate. But I get really riled when I see musicians make politically motivated accusations against business leaders; the same business leaders who are at the top of the donor lists for those same arts organizations. And the people who complain, again with political motivations, that "the people" (aka, not corporations, as if corporations are made up of Martians) can't be heard are those who reject the decisions of those same people when the vote doesn't go their way. Trust me, you do not want to see the funding of the local orchestra put up to a vote of the people.

Rick "who has no doubts as to the outcome of that vote" Denney

Follow Ups: