Re: Re: Re: poll

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 05, 2003 at 18:05:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: poll posted by K on May 05, 2003 at 17:52:45:

I follow the scales around the circle of fifths. I start with the Bb tuning scale, then go up to Eb, down to Ab, and so on until I finish the B scale, and then instead of going down to the E scale I usually go up. Thus, the lowest scale I play is the Gb scale, and the highest scale I play is the F scale. But I always take it back to the Bb scale, and play the scale an octave higher to finish up, usually descending down both octaves and then on down to a low F. Thus, my routine extends from low F to high Bb, which covers a little more than the range I'm expected to play.

Something I've added to my routine is what most good players do routinely, and that is flexibility exercises, starting with one that follows the open fingerings over two octaves from low Bb (below staff) to high Bb (top of staff). I then add valves in half steps and repeat. That range of exercises also covers everything from low E to high Bb on my four-valve instrument. I suspect that this new routine is making much more improvement in my technique than learning the minor scales. But I'll eventually get to them.

I also do assorted range-stretching exercises, but usually in the context of music rather than scales.

I think I will probably learn the second octave by going around the circle of fifths again, but an octave up, rather than doing both octaves each time. I tried it the other day playing both octaves for each key, but I'm not sure I'm ready for it. I would manipulated octaves, however, to keep the exercise in the range were I usually play. It seems to me the whole point is to learn fingering patterns at the sub-conscious level.

Rick "who makes no claim to doing these exercises well" Denney

Follow Ups: