Re: Re: Performance Major and Marching Band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on November 18, 1999 at 02:27:52:

In Reply to: Re: Performance Major and Marching Band? posted by Joe S. on November 16, 1999 at 03:00:50:

Your point(s) is well stated, and obviously thought out. Let me see if I can justify my previous post:

Jeff asks-
"Now my tuba prof. adamently does not want me to do marching band, I think because he dislikes marching band to begin with but also because of the time constraints that the band requires. So, my question to you is this. If you can still get in the practice time, how bad can marching band really be, even if it's just for one more year?"

He was clearly looking for a way to justify participating in marching band to his teacher. The teacher (an assumption here) is attempting to lead Jeff toward his goal of performance and likely feels his time would be better spent practicing, listening, etc. Rater than give Jeff some logical reason(s) to continue on with the marching band...

MBD responds-
"I think the one thing the tuba elite tend to forget is that no matter how corny, stupid and useless marching band is, it is what the majority of people see of our programs, it recruits students into our programs and it gives administrators a reason to give us money to spend on our concert and jazz bands"

Are these really his reasons to promote marching band? Is there no value to the band members save to get money for the program? I believe Jeff needed some good reasons to counter his teacher's advice to quit marching. The same reasons which might be used to stave off some of the cuts music programs have to endure whenever money is an issue. A good administrator (this may be an oxymoron) would be receptive to the bennifits of a music program to the students, and given strong enough reasons might just go to bat for music education (would'nt that be refreshing!)

MBD later responds back to Jeff-
"so when I come to see you at your job after you get your Masters Degree in Performance, you'll know that yes, I would like my order super sized. I can afford it."

Nice professional touch!!!!!

Music programs, like anything else, need to be sold. Too many teachers, both good and bad, just don't do enough to justify their programs which are costly to maintain. MBD took the additude of one who has no clue as to what bennifits music (be it marching band, jazz band, concert band, etc) has to the school or the students. His remark (see above) "no matter how corny, stupid and useless marching band is..." doesn't demonstrate an understanding of the value of music education in our schools. If these are really his feelings, then I stand by my previous statement to MBD: "That you can afford to super-size your order doesn't change the fact that the person who is taking your order is doing an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. I'm not convinced that the same can be said for you."

Follow Ups: