Re: Re: Re: Performance Major and Marching Band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on November 18, 1999 at 09:05:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Performance Major and Marching Band? posted by Bryan on November 18, 1999 at 02:27:52:

The best reason to continue to do something (something that isn't immoral, illegal, or proven to be physically harmful) is that one LIKES doing it.

If the original poster above LIKES to do marching band stuff, and is willing to sacrifice progress in his other pursuits, I don't know if even his tuba instructor, much less any of us, can talk him out of it. I wonder about posting questions asking for advice when often the answers to the questions AND the best answers are already known. (Have you ever listened to the people who call in on the radio to "Dr. Laura"?)

I didn't take the time the read all of those posts below, but if MBD DID imply that he would be buying fast food from the performance major because he, MBD, was making enough money to buy it and a performance degree leads to nothing but minimum wage employment, that certainly wasn't a very good argument. Neither a music education NOR a music performance major are degree tracks that send large numbers of people, monetarily, to the "gravy train". About the only way that I know of for high school band directors to make big money is to take kick-backs from music stores, and I certainly assume MBD isn't involved in any of that. Any comparison of a $35,000 salary to a $20,000 income is not much "stuff" to "strut", if that is indeed what was implied.

To summarize:
-Neither performance majors NOR education majors - as groups - are headed for "Big Money", so wisecracks across those lines should not exist.
-The original "Performance or Marching Band?" person above already knows the answers to his questions, and needs to make his own decisions. Decisions and time budgeting are big parts of growing up and moving from "teens" to "twenties", in age. (...only 24 hours in a day, what to do with them?...)

Well, I'm not sure if any of this was worth discussing, but it sure beats the "LACQUER vs. SILVER?" posts. ;^)

Follow Ups: