Re: Piston vs. Rotary Valves Info. Request

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 10, 2000 at 13:26:50:

In Reply to: Piston vs. Rotary Valves Info. Request posted by Phil A on November 10, 2000 at 12:24:20:

Rotary valves are usually used on German-style tubas, with a long section of untapered tubing between the first valve and the tuning slide. Pistons, as used on many American-style tubas, take up less of the open bugle, which allows a more conical bugle. Some rotary tubas (not including any of the BBb instruments you are considering) have larger valves as you go to counter this problem.

Piston tubas are often configured with a short leadpipe as well, though this is not always true.

But for the majority of players, these subtleties don't count for much. Rotary valves are easier to maintain, and tend to work more reliably at less than perfect maintenance. The finger effort is higher, but the stroke is much shorter. Rotaries have a different response in slurred passages, with pistons providing a crisper pop between notes (lest any of you argue--I'm basing this on my own experience and on the scientific study that showed the sound profile of the two, with the difference being significant; anybody remember the web page that showed those profiles?). Rotaries can be adjusted for smaller hands than can pistons.

Good rotary BBb horns seem to be more available and less costly than good BBb piston horns, unless you buy used stuff, in which case it goes the other way because of the large number of old American piston-valve horns that are available.

So, each has advantages and disadvantages, and some prefer pistons, while others prefer rotaries. I say this: Find the horn that sounds the way you want to sound, has ergonomics that fit your body, and then enjoy whatever valves it has.

Rick "Owns both" Denney

Follow Ups: