Re: Tenor tuba ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on November 11, 2001 at 08:49:32:

In Reply to: Tenor tuba ? posted by J Hansford on November 10, 2001 at 23:59:11:

For practical purposes, they are the same thing. If you have a part that is written for either tenor tuba or euphonium, using either instrument for the part will probably work. That said, they are distinctly different instruments. Generally, tenor tubas are larger in bore than euphoniums, having a larger expansion through the instrument overall. The difference is especially pronounced in the last couple of bows and the bell. For me, I think of the difference like the difference between my Willson Eb and my Cerveny Eb tubas. Both are Eb tubas, identical in length, and play with exactly the same fingerings. You could use either for a typical bass tuba part and each would have its own strengths and weaknesses. But both instruments sound differently and the Willson is noticably larger.

Tenor tubas have been made in the past by Alexander. Since they are still around, they might still be able to make them. Also, Miraphone makes something called a Kaiser Baritone. I've never seen one but it might be a similar instrument.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: