Re: Pictures at an Exhibition, Bydlo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary Press on October 08, 1999 at 11:04:18:

In Reply to: Pictures at an Exhibition, Bydlo posted by Dan Crain on October 07, 1999 at 19:45:36:

I think the choice of instrument must be dictated FIRST by your concept of the Bydlo solo itself.

When Kubelik recorded Pictures with Chicago Symphony it in the early 50's, Arnold Jacobs used a big BBb tuba (If you haven't heard it, you should! Amazing!!). Roger Bobo used to use a Bb Tenor Horn made by Larry Minick. Warren Deck recorded it using his F-tuba. They all had diferent concepts.

Gene Pokorny, on his excerpts CD, states that whichever instrument you decide to use, you must be able to be convincing. In other words, a nice huge sound is wonderful, but not if you can't play the solo comfortably (or even recognizably).

Personally, I think a large bore F-tuba works well. The euphonium always makes me think of this tiny little pencil-necked wimp on top of the oxcart . A 6/4 CC makes me think of a sumo wrestler weighing down the cart, possibly giving the poor ox a heartattack. To me the big F-tuba carries enough weight while maintaining a certain ease of production in the extreme high register.

Of course, the one time I played Pictures, I had the misfortune of finding out that it was the Leo Funtek orchestration...the Bydlo solo is given to...ahem...the Bass Clarinet. Doesn't quite cut it!

Follow Ups: