Practice Time

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Urling on October 14, 2000 at 23:39:38:

I was just curious about everyone's practice habits. My gig requires me to play over 180 services a year; consequently this kind of work can throw a wrench into my daily routine. I realize this is a good problem to have. However, when I have seven days of gigs in a row, like I did last week, my chances of getting into the practice room are slim. As a result, my lack of practice catches up with me.

Lately, I've been managing to toot the horn for four hours a day, even on gig days when the schedule isn't too demanding. I split it up and try to avoid going for more than 2 - 2.5 hours in a sitting. On non-gig days, I may do as much as six hours, but the same rule holds true . . . 2 - 2.5 hours per session.

I've been told that if you can't get done in four hours what you do in six, you're probably doing something wrong. In that same conversation, I was told that after four hours of practice, even if you split it up, you can cause damage to you chops.

I’ve never had any serious chop problems, so I’m not sure what to think about that.

What are you experiences and what do you think?

Follow Ups: