Tuba Stand for performance, microphones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Tunnell on October 22, 2000 at 20:53:17:

A few years ago I thought I was invincible. Certainly no physical problems with playing tuba were possible.

Well, last night on a German band gig I encountered a chair and a stage setup that gave me real playing problems all night. It finally got to the point that I could not hold the instrument in an acceptable playing position. I got tired and disgusted and had real physical problems finishing the job.

I remember a discussion, perhaps on this BB, about tuba stands for performance, but I have forgotten the details. The right would have made all the difference last night, and it would probably help in a variety of other situations. I understand many young players use them and you don't have to be as old as I feel today to profit from one.

I know there are a number of them on the market, in various configurations. Any suggestions as the brand name and model, pros and cons, etc. would be appreciated. Portability and speed and ease of set up and use are considerations but how well it solves my problem is paramont.

I play a CC Mirafone 186. It would be great if I could use it with my 1917 Martin Handcraft Eb Helicon, but I can't imagine one that is that versatile and the Helicon IS easier to control in adverse conditions.

Also, The old Radio Shack dynamic microphone I used for some of these jobs is kaput. I need to replace the whole set-up anyway. I prefer to mount a mic. on the bell. Most of the amps I use -- and my own amp-- do not have "phantom power" for condenser mics, so a dynamic of a self powered condenser that responds well to low frequency is needed. This one will sometimes be used with my euphonium (a Boosey "Imperial" compesenting system from 1952 if that matters). I need the benefit on your experience with the new stuff out there now.

Thanks

Follow Ups: