Re: Re: Marching Band Competitions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on October 22, 2003 at 16:20:18:

In Reply to: Re: Marching Band Competitions posted by my take on October 22, 2003 at 14:17:45:

Wow, do I disagree with you about playing popular music! If it's marching band, it's NOT time for the classics. Marching, by definition, requires a fairly strict tempo; do you REALLY want to hear Brahms or Beethoven played at 120 bpm the whole way through?? I think if you're going to educate young people about music, one thing you should teach them is that different music is appropriate for different venues and situations.

Fact is, "Saturday In the Park" is JUST as valid music as Mozart, though it hasn't (yet) stood the same test of time. To say otherwise it to take a VERY snobbish (and ludicrous)attitude, that if people like it it CAN'T (that's pronounce KAHNT, by the way) be good. If you get rid of fun & entertaining shows, you will see two results: first, the ONLY people trying to watch the show will be the parents of the band members; second, no one will want to be in the band!

Why not let marching band be about what it IS about: putting on a show. Staging, timing, stage presence, playing the music that's appropriate for the venue as well as possible are all a part of that, along with the discipline and other character attributes you named so well. Then, also offer opportunities for advanced music studies: some theory, some literature, some arranging & composition, some experimentation -- for those who have the interest.

Joe Baker, who shudders when he imagines 76 trombones playing 'Bolero'.

Follow Ups: