Re: WHICH F TUBA?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 23, 2003 at 13:53:16:

In Reply to: WHICH F TUBA? posted by BIG PHIL on October 23, 2003 at 12:56:13:

Of those that I have played, the F tubas that I like the best are the small Yamaha (621--one of which I own), the Miraphone 181, and the Willson 3200 (both piston and rotary versions). They are easiest to play over the whole range, including down low, it seems to me. Of these, the Miraphone is probably the best deal, and the Willsons are up in that price range you wondered about. I tooted a bit on a Rudy 5/4, and liked it, but haven't played it enough with a clear enough mind to have a firm opinion.

Instruments that I struggle with, but that others really like, include any of the Meinl-Weston F's, any of the B&S Parantucci F's, and the better Cerveny F's. I'm sure it's just me.

Instruments that I struggle with and that many others also seem to struggle with include the VMI Culbertson Apollo.

I love my 621, but if I had a need for an F with more projection in a large ensemble, I'd surely have that Miraphone first on my list to try.

Rick "who played the 621 in band last week and nearly sent his lips out the bell" Denney

Follow Ups: