Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New York Phil on PBS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on September 24, 2001 at 14:14:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New York Phil on PBS posted by monger on September 24, 2001 at 13:35:02:

Stealing a watch is not as bad as stealing a car, but it is still wrong. Similarly, rumors of illness are not as bad as rumors of scandal, but still wrong. Mr. Deck's health - or yours, or mine, or just about anyone else's except maybe the President - is none of anyone else's business. Sure, assuming the rumor to be false (as I do), Mr. Deck could come on and deny the rumor. But that sets a precedent. It would then be open season to start rumors, waiting to see which were - and weren't - denied. In the long run, to deny this rumor is to lay the groundwork for destroying his privacy. On the other hand, with this rumor started, Mr. Deck's failure to deny it will be construed by some to be an admission to its truth. That's why it was so wise for Pres. Bush to refuse to answer specific questions about his youthful misbehavior during his campaign.

A person's medical condition and its effect on his continued employment is between him, his doctors and (at some point) his employers, until such time as HE decides to inform the public. Mr. Deck certainly knows how to inform the tuba-playing public if he wishes to do so. By carrying the rumor to a public forum, *IF* it were true, you would violate his implicit wish for privacy.

If you've been reading this list, you know darn good and well that if a player of Mr. Deck's caliber HAD confirmed such a story, that it would be the foremost topic of conversation here. Until such a confirmation takes place, I hope everyone will just ignore this rumor entirely.

Joe Baker, who would likely get passed by for promotions if his boss thought he would soon be unable to do his job.

Follow Ups: