Re: Easter Gig

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on April 06, 2001 at 10:26:03:

In Reply to: Easter Gig posted by Me on April 04, 2001 at 22:57:10:

I wanted to bring a different perspective to this, if you guys will indulge me. I don't see jobs like playing in a church (or, for that matter, ANY venue that seeks to deliver a message or sway opinions) as 'just another job', for different reasons depending upon whether or not you believe in the message.

On the one hand, there are the believers, of whom I am one. I tend to think *_Christians_* should be concerned first and foremost with presenting the message (a position I will be glad to defend privately via E-Mail; this is not the correct forum). I'm NOT opposed to getting paid for it, especially if music is your living, but I just don't know that money should be the first concern. Ask yourself, as a believer, how often have you thought a preacher 'sold out' by going for the big paycheck instead of staying with his flock?

On the other hand, there are the non-believers. I'm not trying to criticize, but I really don't understand: why would you be willing to be party to spreading a message you disagree with? As an amateur, I know I don't know what it's like to survive on gigs, but there must be a line somewhere. Do you take the gig when the KKK is throwing their annual Christmas party? I know that's extreme, but it's something I've always wondered. How do pros draw that line?

And as far as 'damaging established booking agents' or hurting the profession, that's silly. Am I 'damaging established plumbing companies' if I fix my own sink? Think of all the benefit concerts where the big-shot stars perform for free, because they want to support the message. Do THEY hurt hurt the profession? Should we tell them to stop? Of course, you should be free to turn down a job that isn't worth your time, but if someone wants to offer their services at a reduced rate to a non-profit organization, that's a good thing.

Joe "Glad I don't have to take jobs I don't want" Baker

Follow Ups: