Re: Besson Imperial

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frederick J. Young on December 27, 2001 at 17:24:18:

In Reply to: Besson Imperial posted by Brian on December 22, 2001 at 10:16:54:

I have had one since the early 1960's. I find it sharp on Eb, E, and F above the bass clef staff. It is well in tune on nearly all other notes with the exception of the rarily needed 1234 combination which is a bit sharp. The difficulty on the Eb, E and F can be eliminated by using 14, 24, and 4 to play them. It may seem strange when you first try that but you can get used to that. However, be careful for if you play those notes in tune in many amature groups (even some professional ones) you can be flat to the trumpets who playing the same notes one octave higher are usually sharp. Strangely enough conductors never complain about the sharpness of trumpets on those notes.

I played my Imperial in a large band under the baton of a retired leader of the navy band. I showed the other euphs how to play those notes in tune and all five of us got them in tune. Our conductor scolded us for being flat to the trumpets. It turns out that most old euphoniums are sharp on those notes. How is your Willson 2900?

Follow Ups: