Re: Re: Re: Leaks in the mouth area

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on July 27, 2000 at 09:10:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Leaks in the mouth area posted by Paul R. Ogushwitz on July 27, 2000 at 03:40:28:

In all fairness to the Pedants (sometimes Podants) and in the true spirit of this often spirited discussion list, let me play Devil's Advocate for a moment. Here's what I was told once about cheek puffing: your air needs to follow as direct a route as possible from your lungs into the horn, and by puffing the cheeks too much, it actually creates a sort of extra chamber, sort of an eddy, where the air is not being used economically. How absurd it would be to cut your leadpipe in half, and insert a rubber balloon between the pieces which would expand as air flows through, thereby trapping and wasting that air. Not very efficient, yet this is essentially what we're doing when we puff our cheeks.
Now, that being said, I am not anti-puffing, rather pro choice. Paul mentions some legitimate benefits of puffing (you forgot showmanship, a la Dizzy Gillespie). I only intend to offer a possible explaination as to why not to puff in the first place.
BTW, where's the nose thread? I thought I posted a pretty good response, with big words and everything. Oh well. And where's Horace Puffer when we need him?
MF

Follow Ups: