Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disney BLAST!s out

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cast Member on May 25, 2001 at 17:35:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disney BLAST!s out posted by Matt G on May 25, 2001 at 07:27:55:

Please let me respond to your post by addressing each point...

"I know that the frre admission doesn't even factor in with these students when you figure all of these kids are buying food and souveniers which is where the WDW buries all of its profit."
I think you also need to remember that Disney is divided in to several business units. Simply because Merchandising makes a ton of money does not necessarily follow that Entertainment can reap the benefit.

"Most of these technicians that you already speak of are already in the park for other contract entertainment,"
That is correct. However, utilizing these techs lets these techs have a full 40 hour (and then some sometimes) work week.

"or don't mind coming to work because if it wasn't for these HS groups they wouldn't have a job at all."
This is my point, nicely stated. The money that we ask the kids to pay goes to paying these hard working guys' salaries...

"Disney continues to dwindle the professional talent at the parks and "replace" it with these school performing groups."
Replace may not be the right word. There are still quite a few professional groups at the Walt Disney World Resort, and the HS groups who ARE performing, are performing in slots between the professional talent that is there now. These slots have not changed for years. So, replacing is incorrect. I do say however that these groups are helping to add to the entertainment, and that is great.

"The fact is that Disney did this with middle and high school groups before the big cut backs and the kids had an opportunity to SEE professional musicians at the same time they were there enriches the experience. Now it is nothing more than a few small performing groups and taped ambience music. I'm sure that these kids are having fun, but the educational and real world experience that used to be gained from these students seeing the World Band, the Tubafours, the FutureWorld Brass, Future Corps, and many other groups that are now gone is not available."
I agree whole-heartedly. I know that the professional talent here is being let go. However, the World Band was replaced with the Magic Kingdom Philharmonic...great group, a retooled version of the FutureWorld Brass. The FutureCorps, which I loved, were not cost-effective. Again, Disney is a business. The Tubafours are indeed a loss. I have no idea why they were let go, since I happen to believe they were extremely cost effective, and very entertaining...ever changing with the times. I can't see their reason for letting them go. However, I notice in your comment that you still admit these kids are having fun. That is the main focus of an Entertainment Park after all, and what I said in my original post. Besides, the educational side is still being served by the different attractions here at the park. I have also already stated that there are still many professional groups here to be heard and to experience.

"For the $1000 dollars that WDW gives to these kids to perform, they more than likely put at least 50% of this money back into the pot with food and tourist junk. Get real, Disney is making out on this not only monetaily, but PR-wise also."
If you will note, nowhere in my response did I claim Disney wasn't making a profit. It is a business after all. I would never claim that it isn't a PR boost as well. But again, just because Disney makes profits in the Merchandising Business Unit, and the Food and Beverage Business units, it does not follow that the Entertainment business Unit would be able to take their funds to either make more groups, or support those that are still performing. Each area is accountable for the profit they make or loss they incur. We can't just go down to Casey's Corner and get a hot dog free. We buy them from Casey's at a discounted rate, but we still have to buy them.

We, as Cast Members, are each trying to do our bit to make this experience a good and enjoyable one. Yes, we would like to make it educational as well. We know there are problems with the company. However, I take offense when you make it seem the Walt Disney World Resort is nothing more than a money grubbing juggernaut. It may be easy for you to call the company the bad guy, but the company is made of a great many wonderful people.

Follow Ups: