Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disney BLAST!s out

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on May 25, 2001 at 19:33:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disney BLAST!s out posted by Cast Member on May 25, 2001 at 17:35:22:

I judge by your comments that you may not have been in Orlando for very long. I admit, my assumption may be incorrect but that is how I read your comments. I would point out three things for you to consider:

1) While I don't believe it was the specific reason in the case of the TubaFours, Disney's policy in the past has been to employ musicians just long enough to not have to pay them pension and benefits. As in, right before they become vested the axe falls. Mouse compassion? "Money grubbing juggernaut"? You decide.

2) The idea that because Disney makes profits in one area and not another means it is okay to make unethical changes in their business policies is laughable. Maybe you're right and they really don't consider the impact of policies in one area affecting the profits in another. It may be this very short sightedness that is causing them to lay off professional talent for seemingly no good reasons. My guess is still in item #1.

3) The company may be made up of a great many wonderful people but that number seems to be shrinking yearly. And look at the cultural landscape in Orlando to see the effects in that market. Let's be totally candid. Disney is using these school ensembles to be a cheap replacement for professional musicians. They couldn't get away with this tactic unless Florida was a right to work state, which it is. I have no problem with a company striving to make a profit but that process does not have to be unethical or thoughtless to the community it inhabits.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: