Re: too many ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike May on May 03, 2003 at 06:47:02:

In Reply to: too many ? posted by js on May 03, 2003 at 01:12:11:

The only point I am commenting on involves the taxation issue in the previous posting.

I am absolutely tired of seeing and hearing about music being cut when funds are low, especially when so much wastage occurs elsewhere in educational institutions. That tubaist who is attending college, majoring in music, is either going to perform, teach, or work in some other music-oriented career. A private tuba teacher is going to provide the necessary instruction for this student to excel in his/her future goals. In that this is one example of a situation where actual education is occurring, I feel most taxpayers have no problem supporting someone who is _actually teaching_ at a college or university. In other words, the more college tuba teachers, the better.

What bothers me is how schools/colleges/universities use so much money for "beautification": landscaping, cosmetic renovation, you name it. For Goodness sake, instead of planting and maintaining "Peace gardens," why isn't this money used towards instruction? Or how about a local school district which spent $6 million on improving their sports fields?

In terms of how tax dollars are meted out, any complaints about spending on music should fall on deaf ears--around here, at least.

Mike

Follow Ups: